I've got my voting papers, what do I do now?

Here's when you decide who to give your vote to.

Everyone in the Eastern Ward of Hamilton gets to vote for one councillor to represent that area.

Hamilton City Council uses the First Past the Post voting system. This means you tick the name of the candidates you want to vote for. At the next full Local Government election in 2022, we will use the STV voting system. 

Check out our Candidates page once nominations open for more information about who is standing for the East Ward. 

To return your voting papers in time to be counted, you’ll need to get them in the post by Thursday 12 August. After that date, you can drop them off at Hamilton City Council in Garden Place or at any Hamilton City Libraries community branch (Glenview, St Andrews, Dinsdale, Hillcrest, Chartwell) until 12pm on Wednesday 18 August.

Where to drop off your voting packs

 Permanent ballot boxes

Special votes

Special votes are available if:

  • your name does not appear on the final electoral roll (e.g. you didn't enrol before 16 August), but you qualify as an elector 
  • you did not receive a voting pack that has been posted to you
  • you have a spoilt or damaged voting pack that was posted to you.

Special votes can be made until 12pm on Wednesday 18 August, at:

  • the Elections Office, Municipal Building, Garden Place, Hamilton
  • any Hamilton City Libraries community branch (Hillcrest, Chartwell)
  • by telephoning the electoral office on 0800 922 822.


Special votes require the completion of a statutory declaration. This is a legal requirement and a protection for electors against possible duplicate voting.

We want as many of you to vote as possible, so if you need a hand to complete your voting papers, we’ve got people who can do that. Drop in to the Hamilton City Council building in Garden Place anytime during the voting period, or email

Before you can vote, you need to enrol!

It's not too late to enrol and vote, you will just need to cast a special vote (see above).

Do you tick these boxes?

  • I’ll be 18 years or older on Election Day (18 August).
  • I’m a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
  • I’ve lived in New Zealand for at least one year continuously at some point.
  • I live or own property in Hamilton City.

Then you’re eligible to enrol and vote!

Own property but live outside of Hamilton? Have your say by registering as a ratepayer elector.

Visit Elections NZ to enrol and for more information about if you’re eligible.

Check out our Fact Sheet and our FAQs for everything you need to know about voting and the elections. 

Key Contacts

Electoral Officer

Dale Ofsoske, Election Services
PO Box 5135, Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142
09 973 5212

Deputy Electoral Officer

Becca Brooke (Elections Manager)
07 838 6439